CULTURE & HERITAGE
PENYAYANG subscribes to the promotion of Malaysian culture, arts & heritage. In full realization of its constraints and limitations, PENYAYANG focuses on identified facets of Malaysian culture, arts and heritage at any one time
- To identify facets of Malaysian culture, arts and heritage that can be promoted and developed.
- To support local initiatives at promoting and developing Malaysian culture, arts and heritage
- To implement programmes which complement the efforts of the Ministry of Culture, Arts and Heritage at promoting and developing Malaysian culture, ads and heritage.
BATIK MALAYSIA CRAFTED FOR THE WORLD MOVEMENT
The Malaysia Batik – Crafted For The World Movement was established by Yayasan Budi Penyayang Malaysia (Penyayang) in 2003 under the patronage of the late Tun Endon Mahmood, the wife of the fifth Prime Minister of Malaysia. One of its objectives is “To ensure the long-term relevance, growth and progress of the Malaysian batik industry.
Penyayang and its wholly owned subsidiary, Batik Guild Sdn. Bhd. are the organisers of the Malaysian Batik: Crafted For the World Movement’s activities.
The Movement and Its Aims
Malaysia Batik : Crafted for The World Movement has been conceived as a long – term vehicle in championing the batik industry. With this movement, Tun Endon’s trademark brand of enthusiasm and passion is brought to the Malaysia batik industry in the hope of encouraging creativity, showcasing and discovering talent and bringing Malaysia batik on to the international stage.
The objectives of the movement are:
- To revitalize the Malaysian batik industry and showcase it locally and internationally.
- To ensure the long-term relevance, growth and progress of the Malaysian batik industry.
- To improve the economic welfare of smaller batik producers, especially in rural areas.
- To encourage innovation in design, use of materials and technology towards the betterment of the batik industry.
- To find and create markets for the consumption of batik products.
- To reinforce batik as an inherent part of Malaysian identity and personality.
An Annual Batik Design Competition named after the late Tun Endon Mahmood.
The Piala Seri Endon was conceived to discover and to provide a platform for support, recognition and encouragement of Malaysia’s batik-making talent. It is an annual event that is open only to Malaysians over 18 years of age, and is part of the Malaysia Batik – Crafted For The World Movement, which was launched by Tun Endon in 2003.
In 2003, there was just one category to this competition – that of Fashion. Soft Furnishing was added in 2004. The handicraft category was added in 2005. Expansion in categories was in line with the movement’s aim to broaden the base of products to which batik can be applied to.
The intricate design of the trophy represents a hand-block – which is used in the making of batik. Made of exotic timber and highly polished pewter, the trophy is 18 inches (approximately 460mm) high and 6.5kg in weight. The original Challenge Trophy is kept by the Organiser for use in this annual event. Names of winners of the trophy are engraved on plaques on the back of the trophy. Winners are given a smaller replica weighing 2kg, while consolation prize winners receive a 1.5kg replica.
Royal Selangor, a Malaysian pewter brand with retail outlets worldwide, has donated all the trophies since 2003.
Prizes for all categories of the Piala Seri Endon are the same:
First prize: RM30,000 | Second prize: RM10,000 | Third prize: RM5,000
There are also five consolation prizes of RM1,000 each.
To revive and assist in sustaining Malaysian Culture, arts and heritage
- Piala Seri Endon
- Batik Fun Walk
- Persatuan Batik Malaysia
- VIVA Batik Malaysia
- Batik Workshop
The Baba and Nyonyas, also known as Peranakan Cina (Peranakan is a Malay term meaning that a person is a native by birth, usually of mixed blood) are a sub-ethnic group of the Chinese Community whose culture and lifestyle is a fusion of Chinese and Malay influences
- An Initiatives to ensure the culture is well preserved for future generations.
- Nyonya Kebaya Book
List of Books
- Nyonya Kebaya Exhibitions
List of Exhibitions